Thursday, September 8, 2011

facebook etiquette

When you get a verbal barrage from somebody, you have a few choices in terms of how to deal with it. You can classify the behaviour as being off the chart (devient of social norm) and not take it seriously. You can choose to forgive the person and move on, or do what some of my friends have been advocationg, namely breaking of a leg, literally or figuratively.

Recently, one of my friend's was defriended on Facebook. My friend has a good sense of humor and finds this very amusing. My mind started churning, would defriending on Facebook be equivalent to the figurative meaning of breaking of a leg? If this is true then she really does not deserve such a harsh judgement. Given the long history of their friendship, the de-friender could have just as easily given her the silent treatment i.e. blocked her.

I find facebook etiquette a bit confusing. I do not mind showing affection to my husbeand in public. But apparently, writing a love note on his wall was too bold for my friends. Is writing a simple love note or posting a romantic song on his wall equivalent to giving him a kiss in public? If it is a kiss, then why is it inappropriate? After all, a kiss is just a kiss.

A kiss, when all is said, what is it?
A rosy dot placed on the "i" in loving;
'Tis a secret told to the mouth instead of to the ear.
-Edmond Rostand

2 comments:

  1. Man there are so many people I want to de-friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So what if a love note is equivialent to a kiss. As long as it made u guys happy. Being able to express your love is a gift. Enjoy it :)

    ReplyDelete