Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Two sides of a coin

Lately, I have been having some extra pain. Today I was having a hard time and I had to go and see my doctor, my husband recommended to use my old friend, my cane. It brought back some painful memories but it also made me think about, the concept of support. When I was not able to walk and no one was around to help, it was my cane that used to offer me support. Slowly, I started to reach for that cane more and more. Soon enough I lost the confidence in me to be able to walk without the cane. A few times my brother challenged me to give up the cane and I was not able to accept it. Finally, he asked me to give the cane to him as a gift. That forced me to learn to walk on my own.

Does the same scenario take place if a child is over protected? Does he or she become so dependent on other people to take care of them that they never have the confidence in themselves? As this child grows into adulthood, are they more venerable to anyone who offers them even a little bit of support regardless of that persons character? I wonder if this is the reason why people end up in the wrong relationships. It is a fine balance when guiding a child, offering a finger for support but also knowing when to let go. As hard as this may be, I will have to let them fall but be there to pick up the pieces.

I can tell you this from my experience, once you do find yourself in a cane dependent like situation, you need to want to become self reliant and have a lot of courage to break free. And a little bit of push goes a long way.




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad




1 comment:

  1. Excellent perception and writing....hidden treasure is coming out...

    ReplyDelete