Monday, August 29, 2011

Leave the past in the past

I was listening to the coverage of hurricane Irene. This reporter was covering an area which was suppose to be evacuated. He asked this individual who had chosen to stay back regardless of the warning, what made him stay back. The person said that I stayed back because I have lived here all my life and all my belongings are here.

It made me realize how strong our bond is to our past. WE define ourselves by our old stories, good and bad. We say to ourselves that tomorrow is a new day. Is it really a new day if we bring the baggege of our past negative interections, hurts, and our attachment to everything in the past. If a person looses his job and keeps thinking about how good the life was when he did have a job. Is he able to focus on creating his future with single mindedness? Why is it so hard for us to let go of the past and focus on tomorrow? Why do we let our past, good or bad, rule our lives to the extent of risking our lives?

I am still living my past as well, when I let yesterday's pain stories stop me from moving forward. If I could forget the past 20 years of pain, I would be able to handle todays pain better. What comfort do I seek in my old pain stories? Do I wear my last 20 years of pain as my badge of honor? I know that I am working on moving forward then Why do I let my past hold me back. I can learn from my past but I should not lean on my past to define me today.

Why does my past have such strong hold on me? Pain was the reason I was not able to do many things. Pain had ruled my life for a very long time. But now that I have this understanding, can I really let the past be in the past and find new reasons for doing or not doing something?

No comments:

Post a Comment