Sunday, October 2, 2011

my pain is real

Today I was reading one woman's struggle with chronic pain.  She was talking about how so many of her doctors, for many years, told her that it was all in her head.  After many years of suffering, she was finally given a diagnosis and proper treatment for it.  This is a very common story when it comes to women having chronic pain.  Men, often, are taken more seriously and given proper treatment.  Many doctors refuse to give women even pain medicine because pain is in their head and it is not real.  So many suffer from both emotional and physical pain.

Are women not taken seriously?  We have proven ourselves to be equally intelligent but we are still second guessed.  It is as though we have no idea about what is good for us and even about what it is that we want in life.  over time even we, ourselves do not trust our own thoughts.

In my struggle with back pain, I have followed all the instructions from my doctors.  I have a good understanding of what is being suggested for the treatment.  Throughout my treatment, I was second guessed about my choices and timings of the treatment options, even by my own family.  People doubt my decisions because my body does not respond well to the treatments done.  I think that I kind of do know how much pain I am experiencing and at which point I am not able to even breath because of pain.  I do have a right to try something new if I am not able to live with the increased level of pain.  Past failure of treatments should not be a reason for living with unbearable pain forever.  I love it when doctors in my own family tell me that I should be able to live normal life with pain.  Can they really feel the level of pain I am feeling?  I love them all and only wish the best for them.  But, there are days when I would like them to try living with the pain that  I experience 24/7, just for a week.  Then I will be able to take their judgements about my choices more seriously.

I am an individual with my unique abilities.  It is possible that my pain threshold is low.  It is possible that someone else can live with my level of pain without treatment.  But, it does not mean that I should be forced to live with it if I am not able to bear it.  

"The aim of the wise is not to secure pleasure, but to avoid pain."
Aristotle

1 comment:

  1. aww, I feel so bad for you and cannot imagine what it must be like....just one question - are the pains worse than labour pains - if so, i truly feel bad for you - i couldn't deal with that - yikes!!!

    I hope there will soon come a time when you no longer feel the pain and are cured from it - hang in there, u never know what is waiting around the corner!!!

    ReplyDelete